BRENTWOOD, Tenn. (WKRN) – Police are investigating a violent “bump and rob” where a woman’s purse was stolen after she was rear-ended Monday night.
It happened around 9:30 p.m. near the intersection of Belle Rive Drive and Granny White Pike.
The victim reported to police she was traveling east on the roadway when her vehicle was bumped from behind by a dark-colored car.
Police said when the woman got out of her vehicle to check the damage she was approached by two black men from the sedan.
According to a release, one of the suspects brandished a gun and demanded the victim’s purse. The suspects took the woman’s purse, returned to their vehicle and fled the scene.
The suspects remain at large and are described as teenagers who are around 5 feet 4 inches tall to 5 feet 6 inches tall with slim builds.
A similar case is also being investigated just seven miles away in Nashville. Police said around the same time, two men rear-ended a man and shot him when he tried to fight them off.
The man remains hospitalized at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Anyone with information on either incident is urged to call Crime Stoppers at 615-74-CRIME or Brentwood police at 615-371-0160.
Police said if a motorist finds themselves in similar situation they should:
- Be aware of your surroundings. Many times the suspects will follow for a distance before making a move.
- If you are uneasy, activate your hazard lights and continue driving to a populated and well-lit area. Call police and motion to the other driver that you are moving.
- Evaluate the actions of the other driver before exiting your vehicle. If you see something suspicious, pull away and call police.
- Keep your doors locked and windows rolled up. Tell the other driver you have notified police and wait for them to arrive before exiting.
- If you find yourself in this situation cooperate with the suspect. Property can be replaced.