Police: Employee of Madison business shot in face; Gunman in custody

Ronald Kirby being taken into custody by Metro police on Jan. 11, 2018. (Courtesy: Metro Nashville Police Department)

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – A 62-year-old man is accused of shooting his ex-boss in the face Thursday morning inside a Madison business.

Metro police have charged Ronald Kirby with attempted criminal homicide and three counts of aggravated assault.

The incident began just before 10 a.m. when police say Kirby reportedly went inside Resolutions Inc. on Darbytown Drive off Dickerson Pike.

PHOTOS: Madison workplace shooting

(Photo: WKRN)

He allegedly told the receptionist he needed to see his ex-boss, Ronald Francis, before shooting him in the face. Francis, 59, is being treated at Vanderbilt University Medical Center and is expected to undergo surgery. His condition is not life threatening.

According to Metro police, another employee in the business was also armed and shot at Kirby. During the gunfire, employee John Entwistle, 51, received a minor ricochet wound to his chin. He was taken to TriStar Skyline Medical Center for treatment.

“We heard three or four gunshots and [a] lady come out screaming and telling us to call the police – that there was a guy with a gun,” one witness said. “We heard the guys in there evidently shot back at the shooter and you could see the bullet holes on the side of the building where they hit.”

(Photo: WKRN)

After the shooting, witnesses in the area told the first responding officers that Kirby ran from the business and into the neighboring Dollar General store.

The store was evacuated as SWAT officers arrived at the scene to clear the building. Metro police say the officers were announcing their presence as they moved through the store, and Kirby reportedly let them know he was there.

A press release states he was taken into custody without incident. His pistol was recovered beside him. He does not have a previous criminal history in Metro.

The 62-year-old man, from Antioch, was taken to the Madison Precinct where he allegedly refused to answer detectives’ questions.

Metro police said Kirby had reportedly done work for Resolution in years past and continued to stop by on occasion.

He remains booked in the Metro jail. A bond amount wasn’t immediately known.