NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – Fire crews were called to John Overton High School Wednesday morning on reports of a gas odor.
The Nashville Fire Department with its HAZMAT units responded to the school around 6:30 a.m.
A phone message sent to Overton parents said staff arriving to the school noticed a strong “sulfur” smell and maintenance crews were called.
Students and faculty were initially held outside the school but have since been allowed into classrooms.
Buses that service the Overton cluster were delayed picking up students.
The Nashville Fire Department said the smell is isolated to the school’s auditorium and is hydrogen sulfide from a backed up sewer.
The Fire Chief described the smell as “sewer gas” and said it is not hazardous.
Fans were used to clear the air inside the school
One student was taken to an area hospital for slipping and falling. A pregnant teacher was treated also when she was overcome by the smell.
Crews with Piedmont Natural Gas also responded to the school.
This is a developing story. Stay with News 2 and refresh this page for updates.