Police: Burglary suspect shot by business owner, found in North Nashville

(Photo: WKRN)

There are multiple videos inside this story. Click here to watch them all from the News 2 app.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – While following up on a Cheatham County burglary, detectives found the alleged suspect in the backseat of a van in North Nashville with a gunshot wound.

Phillip Noe was found around 9:30 a.m. on 12th Avenue North by Cheatham County detectives.

According to police, the 54-year-old man broke into Finch’s Market on Highway 70 in Pegram around 10 p.m. Tuesday.

Police said the store’s owner, Wally Freeman, chased Noe from the business and held him and the getaway driver at gunpoint. Freeman, who was hanging onto the side of the van, fired a shot inside the vehicle when Noe reportedly told the driver to “Go.”

(Photo: WKRN)

Freeman suffered road rash on his face, arms and legs, and told police upon their arrival he thought he had shot one of the suspects.

“It was a dangerous situation. We don’t encourage the public or business owners to take that kind of action,” Lt. Shannon Lefflin said.

As the investigation continued, detectives went to 12th Avenue to follow up on a lead involving a van that matched the one used in the burglary.

According to Detective Michael Foust, upon approaching the van, Noe was found in the backseat with a gunshot wound to his right side.

Phillip Noe (Courtesy: Metro Nashville Police Department)

“When we pulled up, he popped his head up and was surprised we were there,” Det. Foust said. “Luckily, we were there because there’s no telling how long he would continue to sit there and he may have died there for all we know.”

Noe was taken to Vanderbilt University Medical Center where he has since undergone surgery. Police said his injuries are life-threatening.

He will face burglary and theft charges. Additional charges are possible.

Noe’s arrest history dates back to January 1983, and in 2013, he had over 50 local arrests. It’s not known if that number has increased since then. His most recent arrest was in August when he pled guilty for stealing a TV from Walmart.

Police are continuing to search for the getaway driver. A description of the driver was not immediately released.

The investigation is ongoing. Police said this is the second time Finch’s Market has been broken into.