Tennessee man dies after freak accident involving phone charger, gas leak

HENRY COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) – A Springville man was severely burned Monday in a freak accident involving a cell phone charger and a propane gas leak.

According to the Paris Landing Volunteer Fire Department, 70-year-old James “Jim” Hart was taken to Vanderbilt University Medical Center with burns over 30-percent of his body after the incident inside his camper on Howell Loop.

An investigation revealed there was a propane gas leak, and when Hart disconnected his cell phone from a charger, it sparked, leading to an explosion.

The department reported that Hart died Tuesday from his injuries.