Shell misfires during Nashville fireworks, hits upper deck of Nissan Stadium

(Photo: WKRN)

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – Potential damage is being assessed Wednesday after city officials say a shell misfired during Nashville’s fireworks display for the Fourth of July.

It was the largest firework display in the country with thousands of pounds of explosives and 60,000 shells.

During the show Tuesday night, a shell misfired and hit the upper deck of Nissan Stadium, according to Butch Spyridon, President and CEO of Nashville Convention & Visitors Corp.

No one was injured, and Spyridon says the vendor operating the fireworks—Pyro Shows—is handling the cost of any necessary repairs.

During shows like last night’s, he says around a dozen or so either don’t fire, or misfire, including the rogue shell that took out seats on the second deck of Nissan Stadium.

Regulations for such shows are that viewers must be kept back 70 feet per inch of the biggest shell. Tuesday’s display featured shells of 10 inches, which equals a 700 foot buffer zone from viewers.

However, the fire marshal pushed everyone back to 1,000 feet for extra precaution.

“The Nashville Fire Department, the Fire Marshal and other local safety officials designate a 1,000-foot radius fallout zone for the July 4th event footprint to accommodate this potential occurrence and ensure public safety,” city official said in a statement.

“Most of the time, it’ll be fine, but if it’s not, we want the public far enough away that they’re not in danger,” explained Hill. “We’re the only ones in the middle of ground zero, and we’re in a steel box.”

News 2 reached out to Metro Sports Authority, who confirmed the damage is being assessed and it doesn’t have details on the cost of repairs.

“We are thankful no one was hurt and do not anticipate the damage will impact any scheduled events at Nissan Stadium,” added Monica Fawknotson, Executive Director of Metro Sports Authority.

Through our camera on top of Nissan Stadium, News 2 did spot damaged seats in an upper deck, which have been surrounded by caution tape. It’s not yet confirmed if the misfired shell caused the damage.

(Photo: WKRN)