Case bound to grand jury for suspect in West Nashville Exxon homicide

(Photo: WKRN)

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – A judge found probable cause Thursday to bind Daniel Clark’s case over to the grand jury.

Clark, 28, is accused of shooting and killing West Nashville gas station clerk John Daniel Stevens on May 1.

He faces charges of criminal homicide, especially aggravated robbery, and attempted auto theft in the case.

PHOTOS: Man, missing teen arrested in Nashville

In court Thursday, Nashville Detective Tim Weaver took the stand and testified Clark shot Stevens 10 times, including 2 shots to the heart and 2 to other areas of the chest. Weaver said the multiple shots were reportedly to keep the clerk from suffering.

Det, Tim Weaver testifies in court on May 18, 2017 (Photo: WKRN)

“The victim was shot 10 times. Two times to the head, two graze wounds to the face, two to the heart, two more to the chest, and two that were in the abdomen and one in the upper shoulder,” the detective said.

Sgt. Weaver said he asked Clark why he shot Stevens so many times and recalled the conversation to the court room.

“And the synopsis is he didn’t like to hear someone gurgle, and when he goes squirrel hunting, he always carries a pistol with him so if he just injures the squirrel, he can take it out of its misery,” the detective explained.

Weaver also revealed a new detail, telling the court the store’s manager was in the bathroom when the whole incident took place.

“The store manager that was still in the bathroom heard the shots, he came out after they had left, and found the victim, and there’s a lady outside filling out lottery tickets that had just pulled up and she was completing the lottery tickets. He goes out to her and asks here to call 911,” Sgt. Weaver said.

MORE: Video shows suspects walking calmly out of West Nashville gas station

At the time, Clark was the subject of a statewide AMBER Alert because he was travelling with a missing 15-year-old girl, Trinity Quinn, who was also present at the time of the shooting.

The two were taken into custody not far from the scene of the killing after an hours-long manhunt following Stevens’ murder.

Two guns were reportedly found after the duo’s arrest—a 9mm inside Clark’s backpack and the one used in the crime, a .40 caliber that had been thrown into the woods.

It’s not yet known when Clark will appear in court again. Quinn remains in custody in Metro Nashville’s Juvenile Justice Center.

Click here to read more about the Exxon homicide.