Metro police shoot man accused of holding woman hostage inside Antioch home

Photo: WKRN

There are 2 videos inside this story. Click here to see both from the News 2 app.

ANTIOCH, Tenn. (WKRN) – Metro police say officers shot a man who was holding a woman at gunpoint inside an Antioch townhome just hours after she filed an order of protection against him.

It happened just after 5 a.m. Tuesday at the Autumn Ridge homes on Rural Hill Road, not too far from Global Mall at the Crossings.

Police spokesman Don Aaron said someone in the townhome called 911 to report Michel Guirguis, 52, had broken in despite an order of protection being issued Monday night.

Upon arrival, officers said they heard a loud scream coming from inside. As Officer Daniel Garrett got out of his patrol car, he reported seeing Guirguis holding his 48-year-old wife against a wall with a gun near her head.

Courtesy: Metro Nashville Police Department

Aaron said Guirguis then came out of the townhome and exchanged gunfire with Officer Daniel Garrett before going back inside.

Officers David Moser and Jonathan Sheppard went to the back of the home and could see Guirguis still had a gun through the glass door. They also reported hearing shots being fired inside while the woman appeared to be on her knees.

“Those officers believed her life was in imminent danger, that she was in danger of being murdered. Those officers fired through the glass window,” Spokesman Aaron explained.

Guirguis was hit by the gunfire, and it is also believed he shot at officers Moser and Sheppard in return.

Once inside, Metro police say they discovered the woman and her 10-year-old daughter were also shot at least once each. It has not yet been determined whose gunfire caused their injuries. They were taken to an area hospital where they are in stable condition. Both are expected to be released later Tuesday.

Guirguis was taken to Vanderbilt University Medical Center where he was at first in critical but stable condition. Authorities said he underwent surgery Tuesday and was released from the hospital Wednesday.

At the time of Tuesday morning’s incident, police said the couple’s 15-year-old daughter was also inside the home. She reported she hid in an upstairs bathroom with her mother and sister after they heard Guirguis banging at their front door.

A short time later, Guirguis reportedly got inside and kicked the bathroom door in and found them.

“The wife and the 15-year-old were told to get on their knees by Guirguis and to kiss his hands and feet, and according to the 15-year-old, he told them that the police will not be able to help you,” Spokesman Aaron told the media.

Courtesy: Metro Nashville Police Department

Aaron said Guirguis’ history with police began over the weekend after there was a verbal argument between the couple Sunday about the children going to church.

Officers responded to the home where they stayed until the mother and two children left and went to a friend’s home on Ransom Village Way.

Police were later called to the friend’s home after Guirguis showed up there. He was arrested for aggravated criminal trespassing.

Metro police spokesman Aaron said an order of protection was ultimately served against Guirguis on Monday night.

After Tuesday’s incident, arrest warrants were drawn against Guirguis for aggravated burglary, attempted criminal homicide against his wife, three counts of attempted criminal homicide against the officers, and three counts of aggravated assault for violating the order of protection.

Josh DeVine, spokesman for the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, said the agency was going to investigate the shooting after the district attorney general requested they do so. However, hours later, the TBI released a statement saying they were suspending their investigation.

“The TBI immediately dispatched several agents, supervisors and a public information officer to the scene,” the statement said. “Upon arriving, personnel from the Metro Nashville Police Department informed the TBI supervisor that since the individual shot by a Metro police officer had not died from his injuries that the Memorandum of Understanding provided for a TBI investigation did not apply.”

The investigation is ongoing.