East Tenn. man, missing teen arrested in homicide of West Nashville clerk

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – A West Nashville gas station clerk was shot and killed Tuesday night, and Metro police say a man and 15-year-old girl will both be charged with criminal homicide in the case.

Daniel Clark, 28, and Trinity Quinn, who was reported missing out of East Tennessee on Monday and the subject of a brief AMBER Alert, were arrested after an hours-long manhunt late Wednesday morning.

The two were found in a wood line at Old Hickory Boulevard and Charlotte Pike in West Meade after a dump truck driver spotted Quinn standing on the side of the road around 10:15 a.m.

Daniel Clark and Trinity Quinn (Courtesy: Metro Nashville Police Department)

PHOTOS: Man, missing teen arrested in Nashville

“He drove down to the corner to a convenience market and called the police department,” said Metro police spokesman Don Aaron.

Police had been searching for the two after John Stevens was shot to death around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Exxon station on the corner of Charlotte Pike and Davidson Road.

Authorities said Clark and Quinn entered the store and the teen appeared to shop before Clark pulled out a weapon and pointed it at Stevens head. According to an arrest affidavit, Stevens tried to grab the gun before Clark took a few steps back and fired multiple times.

Police called the 58-year-old’s death a “brutal homicide,” saying after he fired his gun, Clark went behind the counter, pulled out Stevens’ body, and went through his pockets.

(Photo: WKRN)

According to authorities, Clark took a set of keys before he and Quinn went into the parking lot and attempted to take the car they thought belonged to Stevens. When the keys didn’t work on the door, Clark shot out the windows and tried to steal it. Police explained that when the keys didn’t work on the ignition, the two fled on foot.

A press release states that after interviews with the two, detectives believe that they entered the Exxon market to force Stevens to give up his car keys so the two could flee the area.

The deadly shooting spurred a massive manhunt and Clark was added to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation’s “Most Wanted” list shortly before he was taken into custody.

A criminal homicide warrant was issued before his arrest. Police have since recovered a handgun that was in a backpack that was in Clark’s possession at the time of his arrest.

Detectives believe they spent the night in the woods of West Nashville before being apprehended.

Daniel Clark being taken to jail on May 3,
2017. (Courtesy: Metro Nashville Police Department)

He and Quinn both face charges of criminal homicide, especially aggravated robbery and attempted auto theft.

According to a press release, authorities say it appears Clark and Quinn have known each other for a number of years and have been planning to flee Dayton, Tennessee, together for the past several weeks. They reportedly arrived in Nashville late Monday night or early Tuesday morning and parked at the West Nashville Walmart.

They told police the van that they were traveling in ran out of gas. The two stayed in the van in the Walmart parking lot and walked around the area Tuesday before going to the Exxon market, which is in eyesight of the store. Neither had any connection to Nashville.

West Precinct Commander Marlene Pardue told News 2 the arrests came after a lot of hard work and teamwork by law enforcement, combined with the tip from a citizen.

“It’s not CSI. I mean, it’s not like on TV. It’s a lot of hard work and diligence,” Pardue said.

Police also said Quinn’s parents were notified overnight that they believed the teen had been involved in an incident here.

“They were notified during the night so they wouldn’t be shocked when they turned on the news this morning and saw that,” Aaron explained.

Trinity Quinn being taken to juvenile booking on May 3,
2017. (Courtesy: Metro Nashville Police Department)

Clark’s abandoned vehicle has since been found in a Walmart parking lot where it was first seen on Tuesday. That vehicle has since been impounded.

Exxon released a statement early Wednesday afternoon. It said in part, “We are greatly saddened by this incident and express our deepest sympathy to the victim’s family.”

The independent owner of the store released a statement that said, “We are deeply saddened by this tragic and senseless crime. We are cooperating with local authorities to provide whatever information or support they need in their investigation. The safety of employees is our highest priority. We take security measures in our stores and conduct safety training for managers and employees.”

They added a chaplain is helping those affected through the situation. “Our priority is to support the family and our employees during this difficult time.”

The gas station is closed until further notice.

A GoFundMe has been set up to help with John Stevens’ funeral expenses. Click here to donate.