NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) — Speaker Beth Harwell (R-Nashville) announced Friday that she has created a task force on opioid and prescription drug abuse.
The main goal of the task force is to work on legislation, but the members will also seek to determine the best strategies for tackling the opioid epidemic.
“I have asked the members of the task force to work toward legislation that can be filed this year, as well as working collaboratively with other members who have legislation on the topic. Working together, I am hoping we can create some comprehensive solutions to this epidemic,” said Speaker Harwell.
She appointed the following members to the task force:
- Speaker Pro Tempore Curtis Johnson, R-Clarksville – Chair
- Representative JoAnne Favors, D-Chattanooga
- Representative Curtis Halford, R-Dyer
- Representative Darren Jernigan, D-Old Hickory
- Representative William Lamberth, R-Portland
- Representative Dennis Powers, R-Jacksboro
- Representative Cameron Sexton, R-Crossville
A release from Speaker Harwell says the future meeting times for the task force will be announced as they are scheduled.
Tune in to News 2 this Thursday as we investigate Tennessee’s opioid crisis. Click here for more on the report.