Family of murder victim comes to Nashville, finds court hearing cancelled

(Courtesy: Partners In The Struggle Inc.)

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – The mother of a murder victim learned after arriving to Nashville a discussion hearing in the case was continued for two men charged with the fatal shooting of her son.

Cameron Selmon was shot and killed in October 2015 during a dice game on Tennessee State University’s campus. Three students were also injured.

A Davidson County grand jury indicted Christopher Gatewood and Robert Tunstall, both 20, for one count of first-degree murder, three counts of attempted second-degree murder and three counts of aggravated assault, among other charges. They have since pleaded not guilty.

According to Metro police, Selmon and the men were playing dice in an outside area near the president’s office when a fight started.

Gunfire soon erupted, striking and killing Selmon. Three TSU students were also injured.

Selmon’s mother Stacie Payne has made multiple trips to Nashville from Memphis in the months after his murder canvasing the TSU campus and asking for information that would lead to an arrest.

She arrived to court Thursday at 9 a.m., unaware the hearing had been continued.

“I checked online and the last time I talked to someone in the prosecutor’s office they told me it was still set for today,” she said. “I am frustrated but I will keep making the trip so I can get justice for my son.”

She continued, “Going through this process is very difficult, but I have to be here for my son.”

It is not clear why the district attorney’s office did not notify her of the hearing change prior to her driving from Memphis.

One of the injured students was also at court Thursday.

SheKenna Fletcher is an Agricultural Sciences major with a concentration on food bio-sciences and technology at TSU.

She told News 2 she was walking back to her dorm with a friend when the shooting happened.

“We noticed a lot of people were on campus because we don’t have school the next morning, and my friend asked if we could go through the opposite way from where the people were sitting,” Fletcher recalled. “Right when we started walking that way, we heard one gunshot. After that we heard some more and I just took off running.”

Fletcher was shot four times in the leg.

“My friend came over and I said, ‘I think I have been shot, but I am not sure.’ Then she said there was a lot of blood,” Fletcher told News 2. “I am just thankful to be alive still and they released me from the hospital that same night.”

Fletcher said her parents did not want her to continue her education at TSU, but she insisted that she did.

“The professors came during that time and prayed with us. Dr. [Glenda] Glover also visited us,” Fletcher’s mother Chevelle said.

Fletcher told News 2 there are still times she experiences anxiety while remembering what happened to her on-campus.

She said she is working with a counselor and physically, is recovering well and has since been able to walk without the use of a cane.

A new discussion hearing date for Gatewood and Tunstall has not been set.

Both men remain in the Davidson County jail on a combined bond of $2.75 million.

Tunstall also has a felony parole violation and is being held without bond on that particular charge.

Click here for complete coverage of TSU shooting.