SMYRNA, Tenn. (WKRN) – A Smyrna police officer is being hailed a hero after he helped save a family from their burning home in the middle of the night.
Kim Tompkins’ life turned upside down Sunday morning.
“As I come down the hall, I see lights,” she explained.
The lights were from Smyrna police. Officer Tracy Moss was just down the street when the call came out.
“I got a call from dispatch, noticed about 15-foot flames coming out of the roof of the home,” explained Moss. “Was able to break the window open, started yelling inside.”
“He’s screaming, get out get out! And I’m like, ‘I don’t have any clothes!’” said Tompkins.
Tompkins, her son, two dogs, and a cat spilled out onto the lawn. They stood in awe, spotting the far end of their house, which was on fire.
The blaze was later deemed electrical. It was sparked by a hairdryer that was left plugged in.
“Once it broke through that final wall, then it would’ve consumed us with smoke,” Tompkins told News 2. “Thank God we have really, really good homeowners insurance.”
Tompkins’ week has since been filled with paperwork, motels, and molten property. She took a break Thursday evening to thank a certain, swift thinking, Smyrna officer.
“I’m just very appreciative that you came by when you did,” said Tompkins.
“I’m glad everybody got out alive m’am,” Moss replied. “I’m glad you and your pets, and your family are safe. That’s what’s important.”
The family hopes to move back into their home in three to four months.