Man dies one week after leading deputies on high speed pursuit

Courtesy: Maury County Sheriff's Office

MAURY COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) – A man with a lengthy criminal record who recently fled from deputies during a high-speed pursuit has died.

Brian Hubbell was pronounced dead at Vanderbilt University Medical Center on Wednesday – one week after a chase ended in a crash in neighboring Giles County.

Maury County Sheriff Bucky Rowland told News 2 at times, speeds reached more than 90 mph during the 15 minute pursuit.

During that time, Hubbell, according to the sheriff, passed dangerously in curves, pulled out in front of an ambulance and almost smashed into other motorists head-on before crashing into a creek.

“He put a lot of folks’ lives in danger, and unfortunately, it cost him his life. He was on an out-of-control in a downward spiral,” Rowland said.

The sheriff told News 2 there are a lot of decisions to make when pursuing someone leading deputies on a chase.

“You have to look at conditions, where you are at, how many citizens are out and how congested it may be. He came into contact with a lot of third-party citizens who had no idea what was going on and with the lights and sirens, they were notified and could move off the roadway and yield the right-of-way,” Rowland explained.

Authorities said Hubbell, 34, was a wanted felon, who had a long criminal history that included kidnapping, drugs and theft. He was headed back to jail if he was captured, according to police.

“He put his freedom before everything else,” Sheriff Rowland said. “You mentioned earlier he had nothing to lose – he did have something to lose – he lost his life and we are blessed that nobody was injured.”

A few weeks before leading Maury County deputies on last week’s chase, Hubbell also reportedly led other law enforcement on a chase where he reportedly threw a gun out the window.

That chase, for a variety of reasons, was discontinued and Hubbell reportedly crashed his vehicle before fleeing on foot.