TOKYO, Japan (WCMH) – A patient passing gas during surgery may have sparked a fire that caused her serious burns.
The Asahi Shimbun newspaper reported that the fire happened on April 15 at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital.
A patient was undergoing an operation that involved using a laser on her cervix, the paper reported.
A report released by the hospital indicated no other flammable materials were in the room during the surgery.
“When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire,” the report said.