Florida couple dies of generator fumes, brings storm death toll to 4

A life guard patrols a the beach ahead of Hurricane Matthew Thursday, Oct. 6, 2016, in Jacksonville Beach , Fla. Leaving more than 100 dead in its wake across the Caribbean, Hurricane Matthew steamed toward heavily populated Florida with terrifying winds of 140 mph Thursday, and 2 million people across the Southeast were warned to flee inland. (AP Photo/John Bazemore)
A life guard patrols a the beach ahead of Hurricane Matthew Thursday, Oct. 6, 2016, in Jacksonville Beach , Fla. Leaving more than 100 dead in its wake across the Caribbean, Hurricane Matthew steamed toward heavily populated Florida with terrifying winds of 140 mph Thursday, and 2 million people across the Southeast were warned to flee inland. (AP Photo/John Bazemore)

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) – Authorities say an elderly couple appears to have died from carbon monoxide poisoning while running a generator after Hurricane Matthew, raising the U.S. death toll from the storm to 4.

A post on the St. Lucie County Fire District’s Facebook page says rescuers responded to couple’s home Friday morning after neighbors found them not breathing. They were taken to a nearby hospital, where county spokesman Erick Gill says they later died.

Officials say the couple had been running a generator inside their garage throughout the storm.

Officials didn’t immediately naming the couple. Two women in Florida were also killed in separate accidents.