CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) – Authorities say an elderly couple appears to have died from carbon monoxide poisoning while running a generator after Hurricane Matthew, raising the U.S. death toll from the storm to 4.
A post on the St. Lucie County Fire District’s Facebook page says rescuers responded to couple’s home Friday morning after neighbors found them not breathing. They were taken to a nearby hospital, where county spokesman Erick Gill says they later died.
Officials say the couple had been running a generator inside their garage throughout the storm.
Officials didn’t immediately naming the couple. Two women in Florida were also killed in separate accidents.