LEBANON, Tenn. (WKRN) – A mother who lost her son to a heroin overdose is sharing her story, hoping it can help others.
“He tried to get help. He did, and it was just a little too late,” said Amy Collins.
Last year, Collins met with News 2 after her son died on July 23.
She says that during the interview she, too, was struggling with an addiction to prescription pain medication, but at the time, she did not see her addiction as a problem.
“I wasn’t honest with that last interview I didn’t even admit that, guess what, I am on pain medication right now, and that was horrible,” Collins told News 2.
Like so many other people across the nation, Collins’ son was a victim of addiction –and so was she.
“I kept telling myself these are prescription drugs, so you are ok, but little by little after a month went by, after he died, yes, I started realizing maybe I had a problem,” she explained.
Collins is now going to meetings and has a sponsor that helps her deal with her addiction.
She’s been sober for three months, something she says her son would be proud of.
“I know he would be proud. He would be,” said Collins.
“Addiction is a family disease, meaning that it affects the entire family,” said Kristy Roll, director of family services at Cumberland Heights.
Roll says it’s not unusual to see multiple family members dealing with addiction, but there are steps you can take to help.
“I would say it is a great thing for everyone to get help at the same time,” said Roll. “We treat families by educating them in group settings and invite loved ones in.”