LEBANON, Tenn. (WKRN) – Lebanon High School will have increased security Thursday after an anonymous threat was made on a social media app.
Principal Scott Walters sent out an email to parents and guardians addressing the situation shortly before 9 p.m. Wednesday.
He explained that after school ended earlier in the day, school resource officers were made aware of a threat on the social media app called “After School.” It allows students to register under a specific school and leave comments anonymously.
A student reportedly told his teacher about a threat made on the app that mentioned bringing a gun to school Thursday.
Once school officials were made aware, school resource officers and Lebanon police detectives investigated the threat and discovered that it was quickly removed from the site.
The threat level is considered low but the school will be taking extra precautions as safety measures Thursday.
There will be extra security on campus throughout the day.
I want to emphasize how seriously we take the security and safety of your children. I applaud the student who reported the information to his teacher. And I thank the local authorities for their support and resources. Please take this opportunity to discuss the dangers of irresponsible use of social media with your teenager tonight. This is a constant challenge for us as educators, and for you as parents. Let’s work together to help our kids,” said Walters.