Affidavit: Bomb found in Franklin was IED made with wine bottle

NHC Cool Springs, Franklin bomb,Mitchell Oakes
(Photo: WKRN)

FRANKLIN, Tenn. (WKRN) – New details were revealed in a federal affidavit unsealed by the court after a bomb was found inside a woman’s car in Franklin.

Mitchell Oakes, of Pikeville, faces three charges in the case—attempted first-degree murder, possessing an explosive device and being a convicted felon in possession of an explosive device.

He was arrested one day after his estranged wife found an improvised explosive device, or IED, inside her car as she left work at NHC Place Cool Springs in Franklin the morning of Sept. 10.

The affidavit states the device was a black metal pipe with end caps with a metal plate attached, and on top of the metal plate was a wine bottle.

Specialists reportedly found it contained “low explosive material, screws and possible other material.”

ATF Special Agent Mark Hoback, a certified explosive specialist, said the low explosive material was black powder often used in the reloading of ammunition, according to the affidavit.

The IED ultimately went off as officials were attempting to render the device safe. No one was injured.

Oakes’ whereabouts tracked by GPS in his phone

Court documents say law enforcement officials obtained GPS data for the location of Mitchell Oakes’ phone around the time the incident occurred.

The GPS data allegedly tracked Oakes through the Pikeville-Crossville area to Lebanon, down State Route 840 and Highway 41.

Mitchell Oakes (Courtesy: Franklin Police Department)
Mitchell Oakes (Courtesy: Franklin Police Department)

The affidavit says his phone was at the Kangaroo Market in Arrington, Tennessee, around 11:30 p.m. on Sept. 9, the night before the bomb was found.

Shortly after, Oakes was allegedly on Interstate 65 near Murfreesboro Road before being in the parking lot of NHC Place at 1:25 a.m. on Sept. 10.

At 2 a.m., Oakes phone showed it was located in the immediate area of NHC, the documents state.

The GPS signal showed he was back in Pikeville around 4:35 a.m.

The federal affidavit also says Oakes called the victim days before the bomb was placed on Sept. 6 from a blocked number. The victim said she knew it was Oakes by his voice when he said, “Die b****.”

Previous Stories:

Man sought after explosive device found, secured at Franklin care facility
Man wanted for attempted Franklin bombing now in custody
Pikeville man faces federal charges after bomb left in estranged wife’s car

Comments are closed.