Belgian premier says attack against 2 officers may be terrorism

Police officers check the identification of a man near the police headquarters in Charleroi, Belgium on Saturday, Aug. 6, 2016.  Two female officers were attacked and wounded by a man wielding a machete and shouting "Allahu Akhbar" outside a police station in the Belgian city of Charleroi on Saturday, police said. (AP Photo/Virginia Mayo)

CHARLEROI, Belgium (AP) – Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel says “preliminary indications” suggest the attack against two female officers in the city Charleroi was an act of terrorism, but that authorities are still collecting information.

Police say the attacker who was wielding a machete shouted “Allahu Akhbar” during the attack. The assailant was shot by a third officer and later died of his wounds,.

The attack Saturday took place at a wooden hut that had been erected outside the Charleroi police station to provide an additional layer of security.

Authorities say one of the two police officers, both of whom were described as experienced, received several deep slashing cuts to the face. The other was slightly wounded. Both officers are now “out of danger.”

Paul Magnette, mayor of the city in southern Belgium, says the checkpoint succeeded in preventing the attacker from reaching the building and causing more havoc.

Belgium has been on a high state of alert since the attacks in Paris on Nov. 13 that killed 130 victims. Many of the attackers, who pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group, lived in Belgium.

Comments are closed.