NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – Pet owner Penny Bond is mourning the loss of her dog Maggie.
“I don’t understand why anyone would be so cruel. To take away a family pet. I don’t understand it,” said Bond.
She told News 2 someone targeted her dog at their East Nashville home.
“Why didn’t they just come out and knock on my door, and we could talk about what’s going on and how we were trying to deal with Maggie and her barking?” asked Bond.
Bond says she recently found a taped note on her car identifying Maggie and complaining about her barking.
When she went to check on her dog in the yard, it seemed sick.
“She’s sitting outside and wouldn’t get up,” said Bond.
Maggie didn’t make it. Doctors say she ingested antifreeze. They told News 2 they can’t determine whether the situation was malicious, but they did confirm that Maggie died of poisoning.
“Most antifreeze contains ethylene glycol, which is the poisonous agent in there. Unfortunately, it has a sweet taste and animals will unfortunately be drawn to it. Even a small amount can cause serious kidney damage,”
said Dr. Bob Ingram with the Animal Clinic of Belshire.
Dr. Ingram went on to say that most of the cases he sees deal with accidental poisoning. He offered advice for protecting pets.
“Your prescription medications need to be kept away from kids, but animals and pets too. We do see some of those,” said Dr. Ingram.
Bond says her case was no accident.
“If they’ve gotten a threatening letter or anything like that, they need to be aware of what someone is willing to do.”