NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – Several homes were evacuated and roads closed after a gas leak in South Nashville Saturday afternoon.
According to officials, a subcontractor for Google Fiber was drilling along Wallace Road when they hit a gas line under the pavement near the Women’s Imaging Center of TriStar Southern Hills Medical Center.
About 20 people were inside the building when it was evacuated. Authorities on the scene say the imaging center will remain closed until Sunday morning.
Eight houses on Hopedale Drive were also evacuated, but residents have since been allowed to return to their homes.
Piedmont Natural Gas was called to repair the gas line. Several roads were closed while they were on the scene, but they reopened at 6 p.m.
Fire officials told News 2 that gas leaks can be very serious. One wrong move could lead to an explosion.
“For the public, they can be really bad. It doesn’t take but one spark or somebody doing something to cause an explosion so its real important to evacuate and clear the area,” explained District Fire Chief George Owen Jr.
A spokesman for Google Fiber released the following statement about the gas leak:
Earlier today, a subcontractor doing underground work for Google Fiber along Wallace Road in South Nashville damaged a gas line. When construction incidents occur, safety is our top priority. After quickly identifying the issue, the Fire Department and Piedmont Natural Gas were immediately notified. We’re now working to resolve this issue as quickly as we can. We take all construction-related incidents seriously, and we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.”