WARREN COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) – A classroom at Warren County High School will be treated after two bed bugs were found.
The school contacted its pest control vendor after the discovery was made. A heat treatment will be completed Friday after classes.
Bobby Cox, Director of Schools for Warren County, announced via Facebook that the school would not be spraying any chemicals.
“We felt like the quickest way to get it out was putting it on our social media page,” Cox told News 2.
Dozens of parents expressed outrage on the school’s Facebook page.
Some were upset they weren’t contacted directly, others claimed there must be more than two bed bugs, and several stated that the school should be closed until the problem is fixed.
“If we feel like there is an alarm we would notify parents,” explained Cox.
He went on to explain that they took steps immediately to ensure the safety of their students.
Cox said the classroom was cleaned and closed to students Friday, and classes were held in another part of the building.
Bed bug bites can leave itchy welts on the skin and cause allergic reactions.
The bugs can multiply quickly, so early detection is critical as they can be hard to treat without a pest control specialist.
If you see bed bugs in your home, be sure to wash and dry your bed linens often using the hottest temperature possible.
You also want to closely inspect any furniture or suitcases before bringing them into your home.