DA completes review of TSU incident uncovered by News 2

TSU Tennessee State University Generic

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – News 2 has learned the Davidson County District Attorney’s Office has ended its review of an on-campus incident at Tennessee State University that originally happened on Nov. 20, 2014.

On March 9, the District Attorney’s Office told News 2 that based on a lack of sufficient evidence and the alleged victim’s unwillingness to proceed, its review of the incident is closed.

While researching an October shooting at the campus, News 2 uncovered an incident in which a TSU police officer found a female student passed out in the backseat of a car parked in Mary Wilson Dorm’s parking lot.

The officer noted in his report that he observed a male student having sex with the female student who was unconscious.

The officer said in the report that he woke up the female student, who told him she was having consensual sex with her boyfriend.

However, the female student was so intoxicated officers called an ambulance to campus. She was taken to Metro General Hospital.

The male student in the car with her and another male student who was sitting in the front seat at the time were cited for underage consumption.

At Metro General Hospital, a rape kit was taken, according to a Metro police report.

In that report, it stated the rape kit would be processed for the female student and TSU Detective Tommy Phelps would be the lead investigator.

That rape kit was not submitted until March 2015, according to Metro police records. A Metro detective found it sitting with other non-related rape kits.

The results were completed and a report issued from the TBI in May, according to TBI Spokeswoman Susan Niland.

But there were no charges filed, and in November 2015, almost a year after the incident, when News 2 started asking questions, TSU told us the case was still open.

On Dec. 4, 2015 when News 2 asked the female student about the incident by phone, she said that to her knowledge the case was closed and everything resolved.

That same night News 2 aired our first story about the incident.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s