Erin Andrews’ father says secretly-recorded video changed daughter’s life

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – The third day of the Erin Andrews trial continued in Nashville on Wednesday with the sportscaster’s father taking the stand.

Before Steve Andrews testified Wednesday morning, Andrews was seen crying in the courtroom. She continued to wipe away tears as her dad spoke about her childhood in Tampa, Florida.

The 37-year-old’s father says he and his daughter are best friends and they speak at least once a day.

During his testimony, he spoke on the July 2009 day he learned of the secretly-recorded video and how it changed his daughter’s life

Erin Andrews trial
Steve Andrews (Photo: WKRN)

“She is hysterical and out of control screaming, and I couldn’t understand what she was talking about,” Andrews told the courtroom. “She kept screaming, ‘I am on the Internet! I am on the Internet! I am naked! I am naked! Everything I worked for is gone.'”

He also stated that his daughter is not the “fun person she was,” adding that she is mad, terrified, depressed and full of anxiety.

“She is afraid. My daughter has been scared for eight years. For eight years, she has been terrified that there is something else out there, that there is someone else looking for her,” he explained. “She doesn’t trust anymore. She is a shell of the person she was before this happened.”

Erin Andrews began crying again as her father talked about her concern for being fired after the video was uploaded to the Internet.

Steve Andrews, an investigative news reporter, said he went into “reporter mode” and told Erin to call ESPN and see if they would help her.

He went on to say that ESPN told her to hire a lawyer before reportedly hanging up on her. They eventually told her to do an interview about the incident.

“Erin said, ‘If I am going to do an interview, I am going to do it with Oprah because Oprah is the victim of a crime,'” Andrews added.

Erin Andrews trial
(Photo: WKRN)

While talking about his daughter’s safety, Andrews began crying while on the stand.

He testified he was worried a stalker was going to kill Erin since it was unknown at the time who took the video of her in her hotel room.

“I feared for her life,” Andrews said. “It was the first time in my life as her father where I didn’t know if she was safe or not.”

He stated that after the video was posted online for the world to see, Erin became scared to change clothes because she didn’t know if she was still being watched.

Andrews also said Erin vomited after the Federal Bureau of Investigation made her watch the video frame by frame.

During his testimony, it was also revealed Erin’s stylist is credited for discovering the video was taken in Nashville while the sports reporter was covering a game at Vanderbilt. The stylist is said to have recognized a pair of dress pants she wore.

Erin’s father explainedshe learned the night before she was set to return on-air that Michael Barrett had been arrested.

“I thought if this guy would have been a killer, she would’ve been dead,” Steve Andrews said.

It was previously revealed in court on Tuesday by Erin Andrew’s attorney that Barrett called the hotel his client was staying in on Sept. 4, 2008 and specifically requested to reserve a room next to hers.

Barret was ultimately sentenced to 2 ½ years in prison.

Erin Andrews is asking for $75 million in damages.

*DISCLAIMER: Steve Andrews is an investigative reporter at WFLA, a station owned by Media General, WKRN’s parent company.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s