NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – Voters are going to the polls Wednesday in the first day of early voting to make their choices in Tennessee’s March 1 presidential primary.
Tennessee’s ballot was set in December, which means several candidates who have dropped out of the race will still remain on the ballot. Voters will be able to choose between 14 Republicans and three Democratic candidates for president, depending on which primary they are voting in.
Voters will also choose among a long list candidates seeking to serve as delegates at party conventions.
Secretary of State Tre Hargett reminds voters to bring a valid government-issued photo ID with them. Student IDs are not accepted.
About one-third of ballots cast in Tennessee’s presidential primary in 2008 and 2012 were from early voting.
Hillary Clinton released a statement to mark the first day of early voting in Tennessee:
Most eligible voters cast their ballots on Election Day, but for some, it’s just not that easy. For the senior citizen who relies on a caretaker to drive them, for the working mother who can’t afford childcare, and for the college student who travels home to vote, early voting ensures that everyone has a chance to participate in our democracy. Starting today people in Tennessee have the chance to start voting early to build the future that every hard-working American deserves. We need to elect a President who can do all parts of the job and who can keep Republicans from ripping away the progress we’ve achieved. I hope Tennesseans take the chance to get out and vote early in this election, because the stakes couldn’t be higher.
Voting begins exclusively at Metro’s Howard Office Building, located at 700 Second Ave. South, on Wednesday and Thursday.
Locations that open Friday include:
- Belle Meade City Hall, 4705 Harding Pike, Nashville 37205
- Bellevue Community Center, 656 Colice Jeanne Road, Nashville 37221
- Bordeaux Library, 4000 Clarksville Pike, Nashville 37218
- Conexión Américas @Casa Azafrán, 2195 Nolensville Pike, Nashville 37211
- Goodlettsville Community Center, 200 Memorial Drive, Goodlettsville 37072
- Green Hills Library, 3701 Benham Ave., Nashville 37215
- Hermitage Library, 3700 James Kay Lane, Hermitage 37076
- Madison Library, 610 Gallatin Pike South, Madison 37115
- Oglesby Community Club, 5724 Edmondson Pike, Nashville 37211
- Southeast Community Center, 5260 Hickory Hollow Parkway, Ste 202, Antioch 37013
Voters can cast early ballots through Feb. 23. For more information on early voting, click here.
*The Associated Press contributed to this report.