NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – Fire officials remind people across Middle Tennessee to take precautions this winter to avoid a house fire.
At least four houses caught fire this weekend, including one Sunday morning in Belle Meade that started when fire in a fireplace got out of hand.
“If you’re going to have a fire in your fireplace or your wood-burning stove, make sure you have a professional come out and give you the all-clear before you start a fire,” said Nashville District Fire Chief Lester Kelton.
“You don’t want to overload your circuits. You don’t want to have your heaters close to furniture or curtains because that stuff can catch fire.”
Fire officials also reminded Tennesseans to install smoke detectors and be safe with heating units.