Ex-cop charged in Walter Scott’s death released from jail

Former North Charleston Police officer Michael Slager talks with his attorney Andy Savage before a hearing in front of Judge Clifton Newman in Charleston, S.C., Monday, Jan. 4, 2016. The state judge approved bail Monday for a former South Carolina police officer charged with killing an unarmed black motorist. (Brad Nettles/The Post and Courier via AP, Pool)

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — The latest in the case of a former South Carolina police officer charged with killing an unarmed black motorist. All times local:

8 p.m.

A Charleston County sheriff’s spokesman has confirmed that Michael Slager, the former North Charleston police officer charged with murder in the shooting of a black motorist has posted bond and has been released from custody.

Slager will remain under house arrest until his trial later this year. A state judge on Monday ordered that jury selection in the case will begin on Halloween.

Sheriff’s Department spokesman Eric Watson says Slager was released about 7 p.m. He released a statement saying the county detention center staff has prematurely posted on its website earlier that Slager has been released when in fact he was still in jail custody.

MORE: Further coverage on Walter Scott’s death

7:30 p.m.

Officials say the former police officer charged with murder in the death of an unarmed driver running from a traffic stop has been released from a South Carolina jail.

The Charleston County Sheriff’s Office said on Twitter that Michael Slager made bond and was released from jail at 7 p.m. Monday.

A judge granted Slager a $500,000 surety bond at a hearing Monday afternoon.

Slager, a former North Charleston police officer, is shown on cellphone video firing eight times as Walter Scott ran from a traffic stop last April.

Walter Scott's death was caught on cell phone video.
Walter Scott’s death was caught on cell phone video.

PREVIOUSLY REPORTED:

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — A state judge approved bail Monday for a former South Carolina police officer charged with killing an unarmed black motorist.

Circuit Judge Clifton Newman in Charleston allowed a $500,000 surety bond for Michael Slager. Newman also set an Oct. 31 trial date.

Attorneys for Slager, who is white and charged with murder in the shooting death of Walter Scott last April, had said they would be ready for trial this spring.

However, prosecutor Scarlett Wilson is also prosecuting Dylann Roof, the white suspect in killings of nine black parishoners at a Charleston church, in a July trial. She said a state Supreme Court order protects her from trying other cases before that one.

Slager, a former North Charleston police officer, is shown on cellphone video firing eight times as Scott ran from a traffic stop.

Attention over the case and the bystander’s cellphone video enflamed a national debate about how blacks are treated by white police officers.

Slager, 34, faces 30 years to life without parole if convicted. Wilson has said the death penalty doesn’t apply because there are no aggravating circumstances such as robbery or kidnapping.

In October, the city of North Charleston approved a $6.5 million civil settlement with Scott’s family.

After the shooting, the U.S. Justice Department said it was looking into possible federal civil rights violations in the case. On Friday, Wilson said federal officials have sent the state a letter saying that Slager could face charges.

“It’s unclear if they are going to get involved,” she said.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s