Small fire displaces residents at retirement community

(Photo: WKRN)

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – A small fire displaced residents in a retirement community early Monday morning.

(Photo: WKRN)
(Photo: WKRN)

Fire crews were called to Trevecca Towers, located on Lester Avenue, at 1:16 a.m.

When they arrived, they found a small fire on the second floor burning furniture, but it was extinguished by the building’s sprinklers.

The fire department said the fire was started when a 65-year-old woman fell asleep while smoking and the cigarette caught a chair on fire.

She was disoriented after the fire and was transported to Vanderbilt Medical Center as a precaution.

Several units were damaged by water and at least 20 units are not usable at this time. At least 23 people were displaced, but some will be housed at vacant units within the building.

The American Red Cross was called to help with those who could not.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s