HENDERSONVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – A Hendersonville family had the opportunity to meet with the fire crews and the alarm system employee who all responded when their home caught on fire recently.
Seventeen-year-old Ainsley Collins was home alone when the fire broke out.
“I didn’t smell anything,” she recalled. “I didn’t hear anything. The only reason I knew anything was wrong was that the ADT [alarm] system went off.”
Ainsley’s father Chris quickly returned home when learning his home’s alarm system was sounding.
“I didn’t see any flames because they were inside the wall,” Chris explained to News 2.
According to Hendersonville Fire Chief Scotty Bush, hidden fires, like the one that broke out at the Collins’ home, are the most dangerous types of fires.
“The hidden fires are the ones that are the most dangerous. The ones that will burn up, go through the wall and get in an attic,” he explained.
Investigators later determined that the fire at the Collins’ home started in an outlet located inside of a kitchen cabinet. The family said in the nine years they have lived at the home, they have never used the outlet.
“We’ve never had anything ever plugged into that cabinet,” Chris said.
The family told News 2 they are grateful for both the firefighters and the ADT emergency dispatch responder.
The dispatcher, Byllie Southerland, drove in from Knoxville, Tennessee, to meet with the family.
“Thank you so, so much,” Ainsley said. “I don’t know what we would do without you.”
Since the fire, Southerland has been honored with ADT’s Lifesaver Award.
The company also presented the Hendersonville Firefighter Association with a $5,000 check.