NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – Following a brief hearing Wednesday morning, Judge Monte Watkins said he wants the new Vanderbilt rape trial to begin Nov. 30.
Despite the November date, motions will likely be filed to postpone the trial.
Earlier in the day, three of the four former Vanderbilt football players charged with raping an unconscious woman in an on-campus dorm room waived their right to appear for arraignment on a new but similar rape indictment.
PHOTOS: Vanderbilt University rape case
Ex-players Jaborian “Tip” McKenzie, Brandon Banks, Brandon Vandenburg did not appear in court. The former football players were not required to attend the hearing, though Batey, accompanied by his family, was in attendance.
Attorneys for Vandenburg and Batey said Wednesday they are waiting to enter a plea, citing the late filing of the new indictment.
Banks and McKenzie, who have not been tried, both entered not guilty pleas.
Judge Watkins declared a mistrial in late June due to the jury foreman’s “misconduct.” Batey and Vandenburg, who had been jailed since their late January conviction, were released on bond June 24.