Groomer suspended after woman’s dog dies at Petco

Virginia Petco dog, Colby Jack
Colby Jack

POWHATAN, Va. (WRIC) – A Virginia woman is heartbroken and shocked after she says her dog died while being groomed at an area Petco on May 29.

Virginia Petco dog
Colby Jack

Allison Marks came to pick up her 2-year old golden retriever from his appointment and found him dead.

She said a veterinarian told her Colby Jack died from a heat stroke.

Marks believes the groomer washed her dog, then left him inside a heated cage dryer for an extended period.

“It’s like losing a child,” said Marks. “I don’t want anyone else to go through what I’m going through.”

Petco released the following statement on May 31.

All of us at Petco are heartbroken by Colby’s passing. The health and safety of pets is always our top priority and we take full responsibility for all animals under our care. We are taking immediate action to investigate and understand the situation. Our thoughts are with Colby’s family at this difficult time.

Petco said the groomer who was in charge at the time of the incident has been suspended.

Chesterfield County Animal Control is investigating.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s