Man killed by police after shootout at Oak Hill home

UPDATE April 30, 2015 at 3 p.m.: News 2 has learned Acree is charged with aggravated burglary, not aggravated criminal trespassing as previously reported.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – A 53-year-old man was shot and killed by Metro police Thursday morning after an exchange of gunfire at his Oak Hill home.

It happened after four officers went to John Acree’s home around 7:45 a.m. to arrest him for failing to appear in a Davidson County court room Wednesday on an aggravated burglary charge.

The charge stems from an incident in January when Acree allegedly entered a neighboring home as the female resident was getting out of the shower and later found him photographing her home. Police said at the time, he accused the resident of conducting surveillance on him and said he, in turn, was doing the same to her.

John Acree
John Acree

Authorities also reported that, in the past, Acree has accused federal agents of stalking him and placing surveillance devices in his home and car.

Neighbors have also had growing concerns regarding his behavior, reporting he photographed children and accused them of harboring federal agents to spy on him.

Metro police said four officers were sent to his home Thursday to serve the arrest warrant because they were aware Acree had behavioral issues and had been exhibiting signs of paranoia for many months.

Two officers went to the front door while two went to the back.

Authorities said once they knocked on the front door and requested a response, the officers observed Acree ignore them and head to the back of the home.

That’s when police say Acree opened the back door and walked into the threshold with a semi-automatic pistol aimed at Officer William Wright.

Officer Wright, believing he was about to shoot, exchanged gunfire with Acree.

The 53-year-old man died at the scene with the gun in his hand.

Metro police said it isn’t yet clear who fired the first round.

His brother was reportedly inside the home at the time of the shooting but told Metro officers he did not see or hear the exchange. He left the home after several minutes of officers asking him to do via a loud speaker.

Officer Wright, 29, is a 4-year veteran of the Metro Nashville Police Department. He’s been placed on administrative assignment while the investigation continues.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s