Man injured, cat killed in Murfreesboro apartment fire

Fire Truck Lights
(Photo: WKRN)

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (WKRN) – A man was injured and his cat killed after a fire broke out in his Murfreesboro apartment Thursday.

It happened at the Saddlebrook Apartments near Northfield Elementary School around 8 p.m.

The fire began in an upstairs unit when the man fell asleep while smoking in bed.

He was transported to Saint Thomas Rutherford for smoke inhalation and burns to his head and face.

A cat was discovered inside the apartment. Rescue crews carried the cat outside and used one of the department’s pet rescue breathing masks to assist the animal with breathing.

Firefighters transported the cat to a 24-hour veterinarian, but it stopped breathing upon arrival.

All other residents were allowed to return to their apartments, as no other units received damage.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s