A student at West Creek High School in Clarksville is in custody for posting threats against students and faculty at the school on Twitter.
Montgomery County Sheriff John Fuson said threats, posted Wednesday evening from the Twitter account West Creek Killer, said that violence would be carried out at the school at 9:30 a.m. and 1:10 p.m. on Thursday and that “everyone on the soccer team will die.”
Another tweet read, “I’ll use a bomb on top of West Creek or shoot the school up while everybody is at lunch.”
The Twitter threats also included a threat to kill middle school students at the West Creek Middle School campus. The campus is next to the high school.
Fuson said the Twitter account was created at 5:38 p.m. and students who saw the tweets immediately notified the school resource officer.
Law enforcement was notified by 6 p.m. and by 10 p.m. police had a suspect identified.
“Everyone should know that when you make threats of these types be it through social media or otherwise, we will always take those very seriously, identify those involved and make sure they are appropriately handled as according to law,” Fuson said.
Clarksville-Montgomery Schools spokeswoman Elise Shelton said parents were notified through an automated message from Principal Christopher that stated, “I can’t go into detail about allegations at this time,” but reassured parents that the “situation is under control.”
In a release Thursday morning, the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office said the suspect had no means of carrying out the threats.
“Investigators found that the suspect did not have weapons to carry out the threats,” the release stated.
The sheriff’s office also thanked the school district and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation for helping to track down the suspects.
“We just want to thank the school system – we are all stakeholders in the safety of our community’s children, and we are thankful to have had their support through this investigation,” Fuson said.
The West Creek Killer Twitter account is no longer active.
Thursday’s threat was the second against the high school this week. Earlier this week there was a threat involving a gun.
School officials found the threat to be unfounded.
Some parents still decided not to send their children to school on Thursday.
Deon Stevens told News 2 there were too many unanswered questions Thursday morning.
“I want to know if there were more students involved, I want to know what the repercussions are for this student and I want to know what safety measures [the school] will take to prevent this from happening,” she said. “I don’t think that is enough to conform to safety at the school to send an automated message to me at six o’clock in the morning when they have to be on the bus at 6:30 a.m.”
Stevens’ son Tymere McNeal showed her the threatening tweets when he and his friends found them Wednesday evening.
“I was nervous and scared,” he said. “We were all talking about it and scared of it “
He continued, “Nobody wanted to go to school.”
Sheriff Fuson said the parents of the teen connected to the threats are cooperating with investigators.
The teen is in a juvenile detention center and will appear in a juvenile court in the near future, according to the Sheriff.
The investigation is ongoing.