A Golden Retriever that was rescued by a New York family last year alerted his loved ones that their home was on fire earlier this week.
Kelly Sewert told ABC News she immediately knew something was wrong when her future mother-in-law’s dog, Teddy, who typically sleeps downstairs, woke her up around 2:30 a.m. Monday.
Sewert and her fiancé quickly discovered their living room ceiling was engulfed in flames.
The couple was able to escape the home unharmed with their two sons and Teddy.
“Five to 10 minutes later, it was a ball of flames,” fiancé William Vanzandt said. “We got out of there on time.”
The family’s home is considered a total loss.
“He’s [Teddy] a God send,” Vanzandt said.
The New York couple is staying with family members until they find a new home.
*ABC News contributed to this report.