The Tennessee Titans have cut wide receiver Marc Mariani and cornerback Tommie Campbell, a decision head coach Ken Whisenhunt addressed at his Friday news conference.
Whisenhunt did address the release of fan favorite Mariani despite the plans to release all the names at once.
“I wish Marc the best. I enjoyed my time with Marc,” he said. “He’s a good young man and I wish him the best in his continued pursuit.”
Cornerback Tommie Campbell was flagged three times in the final preseason game against the Vikings but Whisenhunt said that was not the final deciding factor in Campbell’s release.
Campbell addressed the team’s decision on Twitter writing, “I’m thankful for the chance the Tennessee Titans have given me. To the fans, thanks for supporting me on my journey. To my teammates, thank you for support and knowledge on not just being a better football player but a better man.”
The Titans have to cut an additional 20 players by 3 p.m. Saturday.
“There are still a couple of guys that are still in flux as far as where we are with the numbers,” said Whisenhunt. “I couldn’t give you a hard number for where we are, but we are still over 53.”
The Titans open their season September 7 against the Chiefs.
- March 19, 2014: Titans sign WR Marc Mariani to 1-year contract
- Aug. 31, 2013: Titans cut Velasco, place Marc Mariani on IR
- Aug. 7, 2013: Titans WR Marc Mariani returns year after gruesome leg injury
- May 9, 2013: Titans’ Marc Mariani battling back from gruesome injury
- Aug. 26, 2012: Titans place Marc Mariani on IR in trimming to 75
- Aug. 23, 2012: WR Marc Mariani breaks leg in preseason game against Cardinals