An emergency dispatcher in California said it was a dispatcher’s worst nightmare – receiving an emergency call for help from her own home.
That happened to Britney Melchor when she was training a new dispatcher.
“It dawned on me the second time I heard my address,” she told News10. “It’s the worst nightmare, it’s the worst thing that any parent, let alone parent dispatcher … could ever, ever go through.”
Melchor’s husband called for help after their 14-month-old son swallowed a washer the size of a nickel. When he found Maverick, he was pink-faced and limp.
Melchor said once she heard the call she remained in work mode and quickly sent crew to the home, but as a mother she felt helpless.
With the help of emergency crews and his wife, Maverick’s dad was able to push the washer down the child’s mouth, opening up his windpipe.
Maverick has recovered and is back to being his normal self. Melchor said that incident, while it was terrifying, helped her learn the true value of her job.
The local police department honored Melchor for the way she handled the stressful and personal situation.