Autopsy finds Ohio teen died of caffeine overdose

Autopsy finds Ohio teen died of caffeine overdose (Image 1)

An autopsy has revealed that a high school student in Ohio who passed away in May died from a caffeine overdose.

ABC affiliate WEWS is reporting that 18-year old Logan Stiner had a lethal amount of caffeine in his system when he died May 27.

He passed away days before graduating from Keystone High School among the top five students in his class, according to WEWS.

Stiner reportedly went home for lunch the day he died and his brother found him passed out on the floor. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

WEWS confirmed Stiner suffered from a cardiac arrhythmia which led to a seizure due to the high dosage of caffeine in his system.

Stiner’s mother claimed she found bags of caffeine powder in their home the day he died.

Other media stations in the area are reporting that Stiner’s mother knew he took a “pre-workout” supplement, but didn’t know it was powdered caffeine.

WEWS said officials stated taking one teaspoon of powdered caffeine is similar to drinking 30 cups of coffee in an hour.

A teacher at Keystone High School told the station Stiner was a terrific kid.

*WEWS contributed to this report

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s