Police have arrested a man in connection to a 47-year-old man’s shooting death alongside Interstate 24 in Smyrna late last year.
Jackie Warpoole Jr. was found shot inside his Dodge Magnum around 6:30 a.m. on December 15 near the Almaville Road exit.
Edgar Domonique “Dom” Covington, 23, has since been taken into custody and charged with first degree murder, among other charges.
Authorities said during a news conference the shooting stemmed from a random, violent encounter and that the two did not know each other.
Warpoole’s widow, Angela, issued a statement following the news conference where she thanked authorities for their continued work on the case.
“The family is forever grateful and continues to pray that the proper justice will be served for Jackie. They would also like to thank their friends and family that have continued to support and pray for them during this tragedy. We ask that you please respect the family’s privacy at this time and direct any comments or questions to the Sheriff’s Office,” she said.
Covington is being held without bond at the Rutherford County jail.
A motive was not immediately released.
Covington is scheduled to appear in court August 20.
- March 25, 2014: Widow asked to remove roadside memorial
- Jan. 15, 2014: Family hopes billboard helps solve man’s murder
- Dec. 17, 2013: Friends offer reward after man found shot in car on I-24
- Dec. 15, 2013: Man found shot to death inside parked car on I-24
- Oct. 27, 2011: Roadside memorials cause controversy for TDOT