SALEM, Mass. (AP) – The Massachusetts teenager charged with killing his math teacher appeared to be “psychotic” after he allegedly attacked a female clinician at a Department of Youth Services detention center in Boston earlier this month, according to court documents.
The documents, a request by the state Department of Youth Services to have 15-year-old Philip Chism undergo a psychiatric evaluation following the June 2 incident, were released Tuesday by a Superior Court judge in response to a motion by The Salem News.
Chism was armed with a pencil when he followed the woman into a staff bathroom and choked, stabbed, and punched her, according to authorities. The woman turned down medical treatment.
Chism was “out of touch with reality” and “yelling, screaming incoherently (and) foaming at the mouth while being restrained by staff,” according to the psychologist-written petition to have him committed to Worcester Recovery Center and Hospital for 30 days of mental health evaluation and treatment.
He has not been charged in connection with the alleged attack on the worker.
His lawyer refused comment.
The documents also outline the security measures put in place at the Worcester facility, including constant one-on-one observation, with a male staff member even accompanying him to the bathroom.
Chism has pleaded not guilty to robbing, raping and killing 24-year-old Danvers High School teacher Colleen Ritzer after following her into a restroom last October. He was 14 at the time and had recently moved to Massachusetts from Tennessee.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- June 3, 2014: Clarksville teen charged with killing Mass. teacher attacks worker
- Jan. 30, 2014:Former Clarksville teen pleads not guilty to raping Mass. teacher
- Dec. 4, 2013:Former Clarksville student faces 2nd rape charge in Mass. teacher’s death
- Dec. 4, 2013:Former Clarksville student pleads not guilty in Mass. Teacher’s slaying
- Nov. 22, 2013:Documents reveal former Clarksville student cut teacher’s throat
- Nov. 21, 2013:Former Clarksville student indicted in Mass. teacher’s death
- Oct. 26, 2013:Mother of former Clarksville student accused of murder heartbroken
- Oct. 25, 2013:Teen murderer’s family may have returned to Tenn., source says
- Oct. 23, 2013:Source: Former Clarksville student killed teacher with box cutter