LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) – The National Corvette Museum is considering keeping a sinkhole that swallowed eight Corvettes as an attraction because of the additional attendance it has generated.
Museum spokeswoman Katie Frassinelli recently told The Courier-Journal that attendance at the museum located in Bowling Green, Kentucky, rose 56 percent in March and 48 percent last month after the 40-foot sinkhole formed Feb. 12.
SLIDESHOW: Photos of the sinkhole
Current visitors can see the sinkhole and museum officials are considering installing a glass floor or bridge above the hole. Frassinelli said stairs that would take visitors into the hole are also being considered.
Workers exhumed the last of the eight Corvettes in March. The sinkhole happened when the museum was closed, and no one was injured.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- April 9, 2014: Last Corvette pulled from Ky. museum sinkhole
- March 5, 2014: 3rd Corvette plucked from Ky. museum’s sinkhole
- March 4, 2014: First 2 Corvettes pulled from Kentucky sinkhole
- Feb. 28, 2014: National Corvette Museum to begin extracting cars from sinkhole
- Feb. 18, 2014: Crews prepare to remove cars from sinkhole at National Corvette Museum
- Feb. 13, 2014: Sinkhole repairs at National Corvette Museum underway
- Feb. 12, 2014: Sinkhole swallows 8 vehicles at National Corvette Museum