Australia checking 2 objects in search for plane

Australia checking 2 objects in search for plane (Image 1)
Australia checking 2 objects in search for plane (Image 1)

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) – Military search planes flew over a
remote part of the Indian Ocean on Thursday hunting for debris in
“probably the best lead” so far in finding the missing Malaysia Airlines
flight, officials said.

The four planes were checking to see if two large
objects spotted in satellite imagery bobbing in the ocean were debris
from Fight 370 that disappeared March 8 with 239 people on board.

Australian authorities said the first plane to
reach the area was unable to locate the debris through clouds and rain,
but that other planes would continue the hunt.

One of the objects spotted by satellite imagery was
24 meters (almost 80 feet) in length and the other was 5 meters (15
feet). There could be other objects in the area, a four-hour flight from
Australia's southwestern coast, said John Young, manager of the
Australian Maritime Safety Authority's emergency response division.

“This is a lead, it's probably the best lead we
have right now,” Young said. He cautioned that the objects could be
seaborne debris along a shipping route where containers can fall off
cargo vessels, although the larger object is longer than a container.

Young told a news conference in Canberra,
Australia's capital, that planes had been sent to the area about 2,500
kilometers (1,550 miles) southwest of Perth to check on the objects. He
said satellite images “do not always turn out to be related to the
search even if they look good, so we will hold our views on that until
they are sighted close-up.”

News that possible plane parts had been found
marked a new phase in the emotional roller coaster for distraught
relatives of the passengers, who have criticized Malaysia harshly for
not releasing timely information about the plane. While they still hope
their loved ones will somehow be found, they acknowledged that news of
the find could mean the plane plunged into the ocean.

“If it turns out that it is truly MH370 then we
will accept that fate,” said Selamat Bin Omar, the father of a Malaysian
passenger on the jet, which carried mostly Chinese and Malaysian
nationals.

But he cautioned that relatives still “do not yet
know for sure whether this is indeed MH370 or something else. Therefore
we are still waiting for further notice from the Australian government.”

Malaysian Defense Minister Hishammuddin Hussein
told a news conference Thursday that “for all the families around the
world, the one piece of information that they want most is the
information we just don't have – the location of MH370.”

Young said visibility was poor and may hamper
efforts to find the objects. He said they “are relatively indistinct on
the imagery … but those who are experts indicate they are credible
sightings. The indication to me is of objects that are a reasonable size
and probably awash with water, moving up and down over the surface.”

Military planes from Australia, the U.S. and New
Zealand have been searching in a region over the southern Indian Ocean
that was narrowed down from 600,000 square kilometers (232,000 square
miles) to 305,000 square kilometers (117,000 square miles).

Young said the depth of the ocean in the latest
area, which is south from where the search had been focused since
Monday, is several thousand meters (yards). He said commercial
satellites had been redirected in the hope of getting higher resolution
images. He did not say when that would happen. The current images are
not sharp enough to determine any markings.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority released
two images of the whitish objects floating on or just under the surface.
The images were taken March 16, but Australian Air Commodore John
McGarry said it took time to analyze them.

“The task of analyzing imagery is quite difficult,
it requires drawing down frames and going through frame by frame. The
moment this imagery was discovered to reveal a possible object that
might indicate a debris field, we have passed the information from
defense across to AMSA for their action,” he said.

The AMSA said on their official Twitter account
that the crew of a P3 Orion plane was not able to spot the objects
Thursday through limited visibility but that the search would continue.

Hishammuddin said the satellite images, “while credible, still must be confirmed.”

Some analysts said the debris is most likely not
pieces of Flight 370. “The chances of it being debris from the airplane
are probably small, and the chances of it being debris from other
shipping are probably large,” said Jason Middleton, an aviation
professor at the University of New South Wales in Sydney.

The area where the debris was spotted is about halfway between Australia and desolate islands off the Antarctic.

The hunt for the Boeing 777 has been punctuated by several false leads since it disappeared above the Gulf of Thailand.

Oil slicks that were spotted did not contain jet
fuel. A yellow object thought to be from the plane turned out to be a
piece of sea trash. Chinese satellite images showed possible plane
debris, but nothing was found.

But this is the first time that possible objects
have been spotted since the search area was massively expanded into two
corridors, one stretching from northern Thailand into Central Asia and
the other from the Strait of Malacca down to southern reaches of the
Indian Ocean.

Hishammuddin also made clear that although
international search efforts are continuing in both on land and sea in
the northern and southern hemispheres, the effort is mostly concentrated
south of the equator over the vast Indian Ocean.

Out of a total of 29 aircraft, 18 ships and six
ship-borne helicopters deployed in the operation, only four aircraft are
now scouring the north.

Norwegian cargo vessel Hoeegh St. Petersburg has
been rerouted and arrived at the area in the Indian Ocean where the
possible wreckage was spotted, Haakon Svane of the Norwegian Shipowners'
Association told The Associated Press.

“It did so at the request of the Australian
maritime authorities and it is currently taking part in the search
operations,” Svane said.

The ship, which transports cars, was on its way from South Africa to Australia when it was rerouted.

Flight 370 disappeared on a night flight from Kuala
Lumpur to Beijing. Malaysian authorities have not ruled out any
possible explanation, but have said the evidence so far suggests the
plane was deliberately turned back across Malaysia to the Strait of
Malacca, with its communications systems disabled. They are unsure what
happened next.

Police are considering the possibility of
hijacking, sabotage, terrorism or issues related to the mental health of
the pilots or anyone else on board.

Malaysian authorities have said that files were
deleted Feb. 3 from the home flight simulator of the missing plane's
pilot, Zaharie Ahmad Shah, and Hishammuddin said he had no new
information on efforts to recover those files.

The FBI has joined forces with Malaysian
authorities in analyzing deleted data on the simulator. It was not clear
whether investigators thought that deleting the files was unusual. They
might hold hints of unusual flight paths that could help explain where
the missing plane went, or the files could have been deleted simply to
clear memory for other material.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

blog comments powered by Disqus