While state workers were give the day off because of icy conditions, not so for state lawmakers who plan to convene late Monday afternoon.
On tap will be one of the state's lingering issues which is up for what could be a final legislative vote after years of debate.
The odyssey of the so-called “wine in groceries” bill is on the Senate calendar after the House passed its version last month.
The Senate version of the bill passed in January.
Most expect the Senate to “concur” with the House action, which means the bill would then be on the way to Governor Bill Haslam's desk for his expected signature.
The measure is a sweeping change of the state's liquor and beer laws which will essentially allow for those items to be sold in places where they currently are not.
While allowing for the sales of wine in grocery and convenience stores, the bill, as written, will allow liquor stores to soon start selling beer and other items from which they are currently prohibited.
A major breakthrough in the long battle over the bill came last session when lawmakers started putting language in the proposal that would allow each municipality, city or county government, to vote on whether or not it would allow the change.
Those referendums could be held as early as later this year, but the bill would not allow grocery store wine sales until July of 2016.
Reporter Chris Bundgaard will have the latest coming up at 5 and 6 p.m.
- Jan. 28, 2014: 2 wine bills advance in Tenn. House, Senate uncertain
- Jan. 22, 2014: Deal excludes big box stores from selling wine
- Jan. 20, 2014: Grocery wine bill negotiations near breakthrough
- Jan. 14, 2014: Wine bill to be revived this legislative session
- Sept. 27, 2013: Tenn. wine in supermarkets debate takes new turn
- Sept. 26, 2013: Failed supermarket wine bill could be revived in house
- Aug. 6, 2013: Kroger kicks off 'Wish Wine Were Here' postcard campaign
- April 3, 2013: Wine bill to get 2nd chance in Senate committee
- April 2, 2013: Wine bills stalls in Senate finance committee
- March 26, 2013: Senate adds Sunday sales to supermarket wine bill
- March, 25, 2013: Debate over wine in grocery stores continues
- March 14, 2013: Senators say wine in groceries may not be dead this year
- March 12, 2013: Tenn. lawmakers reject wine in grocery stores bill
- March 6, 2013: Harwell vote rescues grocery store wine bill
- Feb. 26, 2013: Supermarket wine bill clears panel by single vote
- Feb. 25, 2013: Debate over wine in grocery stores continues
- Feb. 25, 2013: New proposal could allow wine in grocery stores to be reality
- Jan. 31, 2013: Legislation would let public vote on wine in grocery stores
- Dec. 3, 2012: 2 top lawmakers support public vote for wine in grocery stores
- Dec. 2, 2012: Prospects brighten for wine in Tenn. groceries
- Oct. 12, 2012: Kroger begins focused push for win in grocery stores
- March 3, 2011: Association hopeful wine will be sold in Tenn. grocery stores
- Feb. 11, 2011: Local winery owners want wine sold in grocery stores
- Feb. 2, 2011: Supporters say wine in grocery stores would create jobs
- Oct. 28, 2009: Metro prepared for wine in grocery stores
- Oct. 28, 2009: Wine in grocery store debate returns to Capitol Hill
- March 24, 2009: Wine sales uncorks spirited debate, again
- Feb. 19, 2009: Budget shortfall could help bring wine to supermarkets
- Jan. 12, 2009: Lawmakers to discuss grocery store wine sales
- Nov. 17, 2008: Push continues to allow grocers to sell wine
- March 25, 2008: Wine won't be available in grocery stores anytime soon