Two Hume Fogg High School students passed out from drinking at the school's homecoming dance in late January.
Just after 8 p.m. on Saturday January 25, a teacher called 911 after two students in danger of alcohol poisoning passed out.
Fire and EMS personnel arrived at War Memorial Auditorium, where the dance was being held, and attracted the attention of Tennessee Highway Patrol.
For the safety of the students, THP decided to shut down the event, citing lack of supervision.
“Would I have closed it down myself were I there than being in an ambulance with a young lady? I would not have,” Hume Fogg Principal Dr. Kellie Hargis told News 2. “Like I said, we had three students who were behaving inappropriately and so about 497 were behaving appropriately and really enjoying a dance.”
The two students along with an additional male classmate were cited with underage alcohol consumption.
Hargis said the students have been disciplined and will remain in school.