NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – A measure that would let voters decide whether their cities or counties allow wine to be sold in supermarkets and convenience stores is advancing in the House.
The measure sponsored by Republican Rep. Jon Lundberg of Bristol passed the House Budget Subcommittee on a voice vote on Wednesday.
The proposal would allow cities and counties to vote on grocery store wine sales as early as November, but wouldn't allow supermarkets to stock wine until at least July 2016.
The measure is similar to a version that passed the Senate 23-8 last week.
One of the few differences is that the Senate version would require convenience stores to have at least 1,200 square feet to qualify for a wine sales license, while the House version would set that limit at 2,000 square feet.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Jan. 28, 2014: 2 wine bills advance in Tenn. House, Senate uncertain
- Jan. 22, 2014: Deal excludes big box stores from selling wine
- Jan. 20, 2014: Grocery wine bill negotiations near breakthrough
- Jan. 14, 2014: Wine bill to be revived this legislative session
- Sept. 27, 2013: Tenn. wine in supermarkets debate takes new turn
- Sept. 26, 2013: Failed supermarket wine bill could be revived in house
- Aug. 6, 2013: Kroger kicks off 'Wish Wine Were Here' postcard campaign
- April 3, 2013: Wine bill to get 2nd chance in Senate committee
- April 2, 2013: Wine bills stalls in Senate finance committee
- March 26, 2013: Senate adds Sunday sales to supermarket wine bill
- March, 25, 2013: Debate over wine in grocery stores continues
- March 14, 2013: Senators say wine in groceries may not be dead this year
- March 12, 2013: Tenn. lawmakers reject wine in grocery stores bill
- March 6, 2013: Harwell vote rescues grocery store wine bill
- Feb. 26, 2013: Supermarket wine bill clears panel by single vote
- Feb. 25, 2013: Debate over wine in grocery stores continues
- Feb. 25, 2013: New proposal could allow wine in grocery stores to be reality
- Jan. 31, 2013: Legislation would let public vote on wine in grocery stores
- Dec. 3, 2012: 2 top lawmakers support public vote for wine in grocery stores
- Dec. 2, 2012: Prospects brighten for wine in Tenn. groceries
- Oct. 12, 2012: Kroger begins focused push for win in grocery stores
- March 3, 2011: Association hopeful wine will be sold in Tenn. grocery stores
- Feb. 11, 2011: Local winery owners want wine sold in grocery stores
- Feb. 2, 2011: Supporters say wine in grocery stores would create jobs
- Oct. 28, 2009: Metro prepared for wine in grocery stores
- Oct. 28, 2009: Wine in grocery store debate returns to Capitol Hill
- March 24, 2009: Wine sales uncorks spirited debate, again
- Feb. 19, 2009: Budget shortfall could help bring wine to supermarkets
- Jan. 12, 2009: Lawmakers to discuss grocery store wine sales
- Nov. 17, 2008: Push continues to allow grocers to sell wine
- March 25, 2008: Wine won't be available in grocery stores anytime soon