NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – After years of bitter legislative fights over efforts to allow Tennessee grocery stores to sell wine, groups representing liquor stores and supermarkets are nearing an agreement that would give the measure its best ever chances of becoming law.
David McMahan, a lobbyist for the Tennessee Wine and Spirits Retailers Association, tells The Associated Press that the two sides are “very, very close” on a deal that would allow cities and counties to vote on whether to allow wine sales in supermarkets. But the measure would maintain the current ban at convenience stores and big box retailers like Wal-Mart.
Under current law, supermarkets and convenience stores can't sell anything stronger than beer containing 6.5 percent alcohol by volume. Anything stronger can only be sold in liquor stores.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Jan. 14, 2014: Wine bill to be revived this legislative session
- Sept. 27, 2013: Tenn. wine in supermarkets debate takes new turn
- Sept. 26, 2013: Failed supermarket wine bill could be revived in house
- Aug. 6, 2013: Kroger kicks off 'Wish Wine Were Here' postcard campaign
- April 3, 2013: Wine bill to get 2nd chance in Senate committee
- April 2, 2013: Wine bills stalls in Senate finance committee
- March 26, 2013: Senate adds Sunday sales to supermarket wine bill
- March, 25, 2013: Debate over wine in grocery stores continues
- March 14, 2013: Senators say wine in groceries may not be dead this year
- March 12, 2013: Tenn. lawmakers reject wine in grocery stores bill
- March 6, 2013: Harwell vote rescues grocery store wine bill
- Feb. 26, 2013: Supermarket wine bill clears panel by single vote
- Feb. 25, 2013: Debate over wine in grocery stores continues
- Feb. 25, 2013: New proposal could allow wine in grocery stores to be reality
- Jan. 31, 2013: Legislation would let public vote on wine in grocery stores
- Dec. 3, 2012: 2 top lawmakers support public vote for wine in grocery stores
- Dec. 2, 2012: Prospects brighten for wine in Tenn. groceries
- Oct. 12, 2012: Kroger begins focused push for win in grocery stores
- March 3, 2011: Association hopeful wine will be sold in Tenn. grocery stores
- Feb. 11, 2011: Local winery owners want wine sold in grocery stores
- Feb. 2, 2011: Supporters say wine in grocery stores would create jobs
- Oct. 28, 2009: Metro prepared for wine in grocery stores
- Oct. 28, 2009: Wine in grocery store debate returns to Capitol Hill
- March 24, 2009: Wine sales uncorks spirited debate, again
- Feb. 19, 2009: Budget shortfall could help bring wine to supermarkets
- Jan. 12, 2009: Lawmakers to discuss grocery store wine sales
- Nov. 17, 2008: Push continues to allow grocers to sell wine
- March 25, 2008: Wine won't be available in grocery stores anytime soon