Columbia house fire leaves woman dead, 2 others injured

Columbia house fire leaves woman dead, 2 others injured (Image 1)

A house fire claimed the life of a Columbia woman early Thursday morning.

Columbia fire crews were called to the woman's home in the 600 block of West 4th Street around 3:30 a.m.

Heavy smoke and flames could be seen coming from the front of the structure.

According to Assistant Fire Chief Tony Scott, a man was found lying in the front yard with severe burns. He told firefighters his mother was still inside the burning home.

Firefighters found the woman in a front bedroom. They were able to get her out, but she did not survive.

A neighbor and family member told Nashville's News 2 the woman was 65 years old and lived in the home with her son and a male friend.

Asst. Chief Scott confirmed another man was in the home at the time of the fire and escaped with minor injuries. He was taken to a local hospital.

The woman's son was transported to Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville and was said to be in stable condition, according to family members.

The identities of the three victims have not been released.

The damage to the home is extensive.
 
Firefighters believe the fire originated from a space heater placed too close to combustible materials.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s