A Maury County firefighter responded to a massive blaze at his childhood home Sunday afternoon.
Before arriving to the fully engulfed fire, Will Craft said he knew the fire would be tough to battle since the nearest hydrant to the home is nearly 1/3 of a mile away on Katie Lane .
After laying 1,500 feet of hose to battle the fire, crews said it took them seven to 10 minutes to knock it out.
“Time just sort of slows down,” Columbia fire captain Chris Cummins said. “You can't really judge time.”
Investigators have since determined the fire was accidental and sparked in a front room near a Christmas tree.
Craft said he is overwhelmed by the kindness of the community immediately following the fire.
“I want to thank the citizens of Columbia and Maury County for all the calls, texts, and prayers for the recent loss of my family's home,” he said.
Craft's parents and pets all escaped without harm.