The nearly-finalized deal to build a new home for the Nashville Sounds has nearby businesses and residents excited about the development.
The new $80 million ballpark would be built at Sulphur Dell, near Germantown and Downtown Nashville and the location could translate to good news for the neighborhood.
Amanda Thomas, co-owner of the Red Bicycle Coffee and Crêpes on 5th Avenue North, says the growing area is sure to benefit from a brand new baseball stadium down the street.
“With that development coming into the area, obviously a lot more people in Nashville are going to see what Germantown has got to offer,” Thomas said.
Visitors to the nearby Bicentennial Park were also excited to hear about a new baseball stadium being built.
“I think it's very exciting for the city,” said Nashville resident Marge Naughton. “Here in the mall area, it's a very beautiful area for us to be able to use. But I see it very rarely used.”
Details of the proposal and a financing plan will be presented to the Nashville Sports Authority and Metro Council on Monday.
- Nov. 9, 2013: Agreement reached to build new Sounds ballpark at Sulphur Dell
- Oct. 23, 2013: 100 people attend meeting to discuss Sounds' stadium at Sulphur Dell
- Aug. 21, 2013: $80M Nashville Sounds stadium proposed for Sulphur Dell
- Sept. 28, 2011: 6 locations in consideration for new Sounds stadium
- Dec. 21, 2009: New baseball stadium talks revived