NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – One of the victims of last year's deadly outbreak of fungal meningitis has suffered a relapse.
A spokeswoman for Nashville's Saint Thomas West Hospital said in an email that a patient was admitted on Thursday after suffering a recurrence of the sometimes-deadly infection.
The hospital reported the recurrence to the Tennessee Department of Health. It also is contacting other fungal meningitis patients to alert them to be on the lookout for possible symptoms of a relapse.
The relapse was first reported in The Tennessean.
The outbreak is blamed on contaminated steroids from the New England Compounding Center in Massachusetts. It killed 16 people in Tennessee and sickened another 153. Nationally, 64 patients died while 750 were sickened.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Sept. 11, 2013: Tenn. doctor receives top honors for role in meningitis outbreak
- April 18, 2013: Ky. woman's meningitis death boosts toll to 15
- Dec. 23, 2012: Meningitis voted biggest Tenn. story of 2012
- Dec. 17, 2012: Meningitis death toll in Tenn. rises to 14
- Dec. 6, 2012: Health warning on new round of fungal infections
- Nov. 8, 2012: Tenn. fungal meningitis cases increase to 80
- Nov. 5, 2012: Tenn. sees 13th death in meningitis outbreak
- Nov. 2, 2012: Tenn. death toll from tainted medicine rises to 12
- Nov. 1, 2012: CDC: Tennessee meningitis cases increase to 75
- Oct. 31, 2012: Mass. firm tied to closed pharmacy issues recall
- Oct. 30, 2012: Another meningitis death reported in Tennessee
- Oct. 26, 2012: Death toll from meningitis rises to 10 in Tenn.
- Oct. 25, 2012: Madison woman sues steroid manufacturer for $5M
- Oct. 24, 2012: Dreyzehner: New CDC meningitis analysis provides hope
- Oct. 23, 2012: Pharmacist linked to outbreak surrenders license
- Oct. 20, 2012: Meningitis death toll in Tenn. rises to 9
- Oct. 18, 2012: Tenn. sees 2 new meningitis cases
- Oct. 16, 2012: Meningitis possibly expands to other New England company products
- Oct. 15, 2012: Tenn. meningitis sues New England pharmacy
- Oct. 15, 2012: Pharmacy suspected in outbreak surrenders license
- Oct. 14, 2012: Meningitis cases increase by 3 since Friday
- Oct. 13, 2012: Rutherford County School employee diagnosed with meningitis
- Oct. 11, 2012: Attorneys expect number of lawsuits in meningitis outbreak
- Oct. 11, 2012: Meningitis outbreak toll: 170 cases, 14 deaths
- Oct. 10, 2012: Meningitis cases in Tennessee increase to 44
- Oct. 9, 2012: What does life look like for fungal meningitis survivors?
- Oct. 9, 2012: Meningitis outbreak deaths rise to 6 in Tenn.
- Oct. 8, 2012: 4 Tenn. deaths linked to meningitis, 8 nationwide
- Oct. 7, 2012: CDC: More than 90 people ill with meningitis
- Oct. 6, 2012: CDC: Meningitis outbreak death toll rises to 7
- Oct. 5, 2012: 29 Sickened from fungal meningitis in Tennessee
- Oct. 4, 2012: Meningitis outbreak claims 3rd victim in Tennessee
- Oct. 3, 2012: Massachusetts firm tied to outbreak suspends operations
- Oct. 3, 2012: Rare meningitis cases up to 26 in 5 states, 4 die
- Oct. 2, 2012: Epidural patients worry about meningitis
- Oct. 2, 2012: 2 additional cases identified in meningitis 'outbreak'
- Oct. 1, 2012: Meningitis vaccinations offer best protection against infection
- Oct. 1, 2012: Nashville outpatient facility closed after 2 meningitis deaths